Monday 28 September 2015

The Spark




Today my good friend Daffyd Bland made this image for me from a video he took in June (2015)...


I don't know what sparks an idea, or what thing happens in the brain when you suddenly get one, but I think I know the moment a spark happens that makes an idea stick.

I saw this image of me practising a belly-flop into a paddling pool of water, I'd almost entirely forgotten about how much fucking fun it was. Looking at this suddenly reminded me, and it made a little spark click, and I thought... This is actually something.

I was originally practising the belly flop for a one off trick to be performed at Greenmail Festival 2015. I was going to do one belly flop for the end of a show, and that would be it. All the effort I put in required reward, but I didn't get one because I didn't even end up attempting the belly flop because of Welsh weather.

So it was to never be performed again.

Until Daff posted this image today and I saw it and reconnected with the idea... Not the idea to belly flop into a paddle pool of water, that's been done thousands of times before. The idea, to simply, make it something I can do.

Practise, get better, learn how to nail it, take the pain, pad the balls.

Perform it to crowds in swimming pools a few times before getting thrown out.

Hope someone books you off the back of your swimming pool show. 

Get booked at a really great event.

Tour the country visiting county fairs, family fun days, festivals and events, even splash into a paddling pool at my nieces birthday parties. 

Travel the world, go to Japan, learn how to do other stuff, encorperate it into a routine. Perform everywhere and anywhere, even splash into a pool in the middle of the set on This Morning. I'm talking huge ambitions here.

Jump from higher than you did before, then higher than that, then higher than anyone ever has.

Fly through the sky, smashing mightily into a million tiny paddling pools that explode and gush cold hard glory.

Grow old, forever being known as the guy who can do the really awesome pointless thing.

I'm talking about those sparks. The sparks that make you into something mighty.

Mucho,

Jx

No comments:

Post a Comment